(NOTE: available in gray color only)
TM8501/8551 are data entry/display terminals with the versatility to meet the varied needs of industrial data collection. The terminals provide all the standard functionality of Intelligent Instrumentation's popular on-line terminals, while adding the benefit of stand-alone operation in case of host computer or communication failure. The compact size of the terminals allows them to be installed in tight spaces that would not accommodate many standard-sized terminals. A versatile mounting system allows the unit to be placed on a desktop, attached to a wall, or mounted through an equipment panel. Whether the application calls for simple keyboard entry or a complex multifunction workstation, the modular design of the TM8501 series allows it to change and expand with your needs. Various communications interfaces and input/output options are selected by easily installed modules that may be added or changed at any time. The modules enable the terminals to connect to magnetic stripe readers, auxiliary parallel printers, RS232 serial devices, digital inputs and outputs, or a machine monitoring option.
The TM8501/8551 features a 2-line by 40-character liquid crystal display (LCD). For ease of viewing in low-light areas, the display is illuminated with a soft, blue electroluminescent backlight that may be controlled either from the keyboard or from the host computer. The viewing angle is adjustable from the keyboard.
The TM8501 series keyboard is adaptable to many applications. The TM8501 provides a standard alphanumeric arrangement, while the TM8551's numeric arrangement provides wider key spacing and function label areas. This sturdy keyboard resists dust and moisture, and the keycaps have a clear epoxy coating for legend durability.
The TM8501/8551 peripheral option accepts many different types of scanners to provide a more accurate alternative to manual keyboard entry of data. The two peripheral ports connect to barcode wands, slot reader and laser scanners directly. The type of scanner that should be used depends on the application. The sophisticated decoding algorithms in the TM8501/8551 automatically discriminate among the most commonly used barcode symbologies.
The TM8501/8551 built-in host communications port features either RS232 or RS422 interface with the simple selection of a jumper position. The flexible communications protocol allows the terminals to be installed in either point- to-point or multidrop applications. Block or character operations are provided, as well as interactive programming of the terminal's operating parameters. In addition, a protected buffered communications mode for critical transactions, such as payroll information, guarantees continued operation and no data loss in case of communication failure.
Auxiliary modules allow connection of secondary input/output devices to the TM8501/8551. Intelligent Instrumentation's modules allow the connection of parallel printers, RS232 serial devices, counters, and digital I/O. The RS232 port can be used to allow the data collection station access to serial printers, CRTs, scales, and other devices.
The TM8501/8551 may be placed on a desktop using the TM8440A plastic stand or the LPA038 desktop metal legs. Another mounting option is recess mounting through panel cutouts on a wall or other flat surface using the LPA039.
Five modes of operation adapt the terminal to various applications and software environments. Two modes provide different means of communicating to the terminal, one mode allows terminal setup, another allows troubleshooting, and one mode allows the terminal to continue collecting data in the event of communication failure.
The five modes are as follows:
- Setup mode allows the maintenance personnel to establish the terminal operating parameters interactively from the keyboard. Prompts guide the operator through the selection of baud rate, protocol, and other parameters.
- In Block mode, terminated blocks of data are transmitted and received by the terminal, allowing operators to compose and correct messages before sending them to the host system. This mode also permits multidropped operation with up to 32 terminals on a single communication line for use in factory floor and other RS422 networks.
- Character mode operation is similar to that of a standard CRT. In this mode all entered characters are immediately sent to the host computer; the user selects whether the characters are displayed locally before transmission. The host computer has full control of screen format and of the location of the visible display window. The window and cursor can be scrolled in four directions using relative cursor positioning characters.
- Monitor mode provides a useful diagnostic and troubleshooting tool. The TM8501 functions as a simple serial line analyzer, displaying all text and control sequences received on the line. Storage for later review is provided for 48 40-character lines of data. A user-definable Tx string allow the unit to initiate test routines on the host system.
- Stand-Alone mode shifts the burden of operator prompting and initial data qualification from the host system to the terminal. In this mode the terminal displays prompts for the operator, accepts data, qualifies the data, and performs actions dependent on the result of the data qualification. Actions include re-prompting, audible feedback, and relay actuation for door opening or alarm sounding. All the actions taken in buffering mode are independent of the host system. When data is collected in buffering mode, it is held until accepted by the host system. In the event of power or host failure, the terminal will retain data for extended periods. A secure data extraction procedure assures all information collected by the TM8501/8551 is delivered to and accepted by the host system.
The programmer is given a powerful set of command or Escape sequences with which to control terminal operation. With the exception of communication-related functions, options selected from the keyboard in Setup mode may also be changed by the host computer. All commands supported by Intelligent Instrumentation's on-line terminals are supported by the TM8501 family. In addition, the TM8501/8551 include commands that support the stand-alone (buffering) mode; the commands are sent to the terminal along with regular text messages.
Want to get the most from your Intelligent Instrumentation TM8501 Bar Code Terminal?
Did you know we have a large staff of programmers who can make our products work with any system, including yours?
Did you know we provide total solutions including complete, on-site integration services, as well as custom, semi-custom, and packaged software to lower your operation costs, increase your accuracies and maximize your bottom line?
Did you know you can click here to contact us for more information about the Intelligent Instrumentation TM8501 Bar Code Terminal or any of our other products, services and software?
|Our programmers can make the Intelligent Instrumentation TM8501 Bar Code Terminal work with your existing system. Contact us to learn how.
|For information about Intelligent Instrumentation support services, Click here.|