The TM8701 is a heavy-duty data entry/display terminal with the versatility to meet the varied needs of industrial data collection. Its display is readable from at least 10 feet. A large, rugged alphanumeric keyboard makes data entry easy even for gloved operators. The terminals provide all the standard functionality of Intelligent Instrumentation's popular on-line terminals, while adding the benefit of stand-alone operation in case of host computer or communication failure.
The TM8701 is ideal for applications requiring installation in a hosedown enclosure. For applications not requiring hose-proof installation, the terminal can also be mounted with the adjustable tilt wall/desk stand. Low-cost multidrop wiring makes it practical to place a TM8701 at every workstation on your manufacturing floor. Whether the application calls for simple keyboard entry or a complex multifunction workstation, the modular design of the TM8701 allows it to change and expand with your needs. Various communications interfaces and input/output options are selected by easily installed modules that may be added or changed at any time.
Both the communications and barcode options are built-in. With an optional peripheral module the TM8701 accepts magnetic stripe inputs. Auxiliary modules connect to parallel printers, RS232 serial devices, digital inputs and outputs, or production machinery. A piezoelectric beeper (volume adjustable) provides audible feedback to the operator. In extremely noisy environments this beeper can be mounted outside the terminal for additional volume.
The TM8701 features a 2-line by 40-character liquid crystal display (LCD) with 1/2" character height. A soft blue-green electroluminescent backlight provides easy viewing even in low-light applications. The backlight is controlled from the keyboard or host computer. The viewing angle is adjustable from the keyboard and the display is readable from at least 10 feet (3 m) away.
The TM8701 keyboard adapts to many applications. It provides a standard, 50-key alphanumeric arrangement with wide key spacing to allow easy operation in applications requiring gloves. The keyboard is hoseproof and is easy to clean.
Sixteen programmable function keys give the systems programmer control in creating a simple and efficient operator interface. Two banks of function key memories provide a total of 32 function strings, each 80 characters in length, that may be stored in the terminal's non-volatile memory. The application program switches the terminal from one bank of function assignments to another. A wide label area communicates the key assignments to the user.
The TM8701 peripheral option accepts many different types of scanners to provide a more accurate alternative to manual keyboard entry of data. The two peripheral ports connect to barcode wands, slot readers and laser scanners directly. The type of scanner that should be used depends on the application. For many applications, a barcode wand is the preferred choice. In others, a laser scanner or CCD scanner is better. The sophisticated decoding algorithms in the TM8701 automatically discriminate among the most commonly used barcode symbologies.
The TM8701 built-in host communication port provides an RS232 or RS422 interface with the simple selection of a jumper position. The flexible communication protocol allows the terminals to be installed in either point-to-point or multidrop applications. Interactive programming of the terminal's operating parameters includes selection of block or character communication. In addition, a protected buffered communication mode for critical transactions, such as payroll information, guarantees continued operation and no data loss in case of communication failure.
Auxiliary modules allow connection of secondary input/output devices to the TM8701. Intelligent Instrumentation's modules allow the connection of parallel printers, RS232 serial devices, counters, and digital I/O. The RS232 port can be used to allow the data collection station access to serial printers, CRTs, scales, and other devices. Our applications engineers can help you configure the TM8701 to simultaneously support machine monitoring and labor tracking applications.
For applications not requiring hoseproof installation, the TM8447 is recommended for mounting the TM8701 to a desk or wall. The TM8447 is a low-cost stand for wall or desk mounting of the TM8701. The stand's adjustable tilt feature allows the user to position the terminal at the optimal angle.
The TM8448 is a mounting kit for recess mounting industrial enclosures. The mounting plate serves as a convenient template for preparation of the enclosure. If your installation requires a NEMA4/IP66 rated enclosure, the LPA006 or TM8448 is recommended.
Five modes of operation adapt the terminal to various applications and software environments. Two modes provide different means of communicating to the terminal, one mode allows terminal setup, another allows troubleshooting, and one mode allows the terminal to continue collecting data in the event of communication failure.
The five modes are as follows:
- Setup mode allows the maintenance personnel to establish the terminal operating parameters interactively from the keyboard. Prompts guide the operator through the selection of baud rate, protocol, and other parameters.
- In Block mode, terminated blocks of data are transmitted and received by the terminal, allowing operators to compose and correct messages before sending them to the host system. This mode also permits multidropped operation with up to 32 terminals on a single communication line for use in factory floor and other RS422 networks.
- Character mode operation is similar to that of a standard CRT. In this mode all entered characters are immediately sent to the host computer; the user selects whether the characters are displayed locally before transmission. The host computer has full control of screen format and of the location of the visible display window. The window and cursor can be scrolled in four directions using relative cursor positioning characters.
- Monitor mode provides a useful diagnostic and troubleshooting tool. The TM8701 functions as a simple serial line analyzer, displaying all text and control sequences received on the line. Storage for later review is provided for 48 40-character lines of data. A user-definable Tx string allow the unit to initiate test routines on the host system.
- Stand-Alone mode shifts the burden of operator prompting and initial data qualification from the host system to the terminal. In this mode the terminal displays prompts for the operator, accepts data, qualifies the data, and performs actions dependent on the result of the data qualification. Actions include re-prompting, audible feedback, and relay actuation for door opening or alarm sounding. All the actions taken in buffering mode are independent of the host system. When data is collected in buffering mode, it is held until accepted by the host system. In the event of power or host failure, the terminal will retain data for extended periods. A secure data extraction procedure assures all information collected by the TM8701 is delivered to and accepted by the host system.
The programmer is given a powerful set of command or Escape sequences with which to control terminal operation. With the exception of communication-related functions, options selected from the keyboard in Setup mode may also be changed by the host computer. All commands supported by Intelligent Instrumentation's on-line terminals are supported by the TM8701. The TM8701 also includes commands that support the stand-alone (buffering) mode.
Want to get the most from your Intelligent Instrumentation TM8701?
Did you know we have a large staff of programmers who can make our products work with any system, including yours?
Did you know we provide total solutions including complete, on-site integration services, as well as custom, semi-custom, and packaged software to lower your operation costs, increase your accuracies and maximize your bottom line?
Did you know you can click here to contact us for more information about the Intelligent Instrumentation TM8701 or any of our other products, services and software?
|Our programmers can make the Intelligent Instrumentation TM8701 work with your existing system. Contact us to learn how.
|For information about Intelligent Instrumentation support services, Click here.|